Prophylactic ovary removal is surgery to remove the ovaries and usually the fallopian tubes. Women who are at high risk for breast and ovarian cancer sometimes choose prophylactic ovary removal to reduce their risk. On these pages, you can learn more about why women have their ovaries removed, what the surgery involves, and the potential benefits and risks of prophylactic ovary removal.
In this section:
- What Is Prophylactic Ovary Removal?
- Is Prophylactic Ovary Removal Right for You?
- Prophylactic Ovary Removal: What to Expect
- Risks of Prophylactic Ovary Removal
- Alternatives to Prophylactic Ovary Removal
- Questions to Ask Your Surgeon About Prophylactic Ovary Removal
Can we help guide you?
Create a profile for better recommendations
Your Breast Cancer Diagnosis
Just as no two people are exactly alike, no two breast cancers are exactly the same, either. Your...
- How to Ease Aromatase Inhibitor-Related Pain
Managing Your Medical Records
Each doctor and medical facility you visit keeps a medical record for you that includes...
Mastectomy and Breast Reconstruction Video Series
If you’ve been diagnosed with breast cancer, there are a number of surgical options for removing...
Tenacious D: I Was Strong; Cancer Made Me Stronger
“I want to make every woman diagnosed with breast cancer a rock star.” Dianne Wilson’s indigo...